Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX Review
In our comprehensive list of the best car stereo for the money in 2017 , the Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX came top and is one of the best rated double din stereo on the market. The Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX was launched in 2016 as one of the early stereos from pioneer to support Android Auto & Apple Carplay. This double din head unit is the successor to Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX which dominated the car audio world in 2015.
If you’re looking for a good aftermarket stereo for you car then this head unit should be on of your considerations. Here’s a review of the Pioneer 4200 NEX double din head unit.
Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX Specs
What’s In The Box?
- DVD receiver (10A fuse)
- Detchable 6.95″ touchscreen monitor (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 58″ USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13′ cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Carrying case
- Owner’s Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- “CarPlay” notice
- “LCD touchscreen” note
- “Caution” note
Tech Specs :
- 7 inch (motorized detachable) touchscreen display
- Bluetooth capable (music & phone calls)
- SiriusXM ready
- Built-in HD Radio
- CD / DVD / USB / SD Audio & Video Playback
- Compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- Remote included
- Amplifier support : 4
- Preamp Voltage : 14watts
- Product Dimensions : 11 x 9.5 x 6 inches
Star Features :
- Android Auto
- Apple Carplay
- Works with SiriusXM Sxv300 tuner
- 2 USB Port
Who’s This Head Unit For?
The Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX is for people looking for a head unit that :
- Costs under $500 but has advanced features
- Supports Apple Carplay & Android Auto
- Has a detachable face (for anti-theft reason)
- Has flexible functions and controls
Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX Review
Design & Display :
The Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX features a 7 inch illuminated display which is slightly bigger than most double din head units. The display comes with resistive touchscreen rather than capacitive technology. Being resistive means it requires a little force to operate the screen , although , to be honest , the force required is minimal. The display is vibrant and is bright outdors although you may need to increase brightness to get better visibility. The 4200 NEX gives you the ability to increase and decrease brightness and contrast as you wish.
The 4200 NEX supports Dvd player , USB & Bluetooth , giving you several options to choose when you need to play music. The 7 inch display is detachable which allows you pull out the screen for repairs or maintenance. Also , Ejecting the screen reveals the DVD player which can be used for playing CDs.
The navigation buttons are neatly arranged side by side at the bottom of the display , and can be used for quick access of some functions in case the remote control isn’t within reach.
The Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX supports 2 USB slots which can be used at the same time. For instance , you can plug your Android & iOs device to the two ports and switch between using Android Auto & Apple Carplay. You however cannot use both Android Auto & Apple Carplay at the same time. You have to select one at a time.
User Interface & Apps :
One of the biggest changes on the Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX is the revamped user interface which is cleaner than its predecessor (Pioneer AVH-4100). Pioneer got rid of all the apps that were not necessary and made it easier to access apps with fewer clicks. The presence of Apple Carplay and Android Auto brings the power and functionality of Android & iOS to the head unit. With this in place you can easily go hands-free , while operating your smartphone via the head unit.
Car Installation :
The Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX is easy to install and can be done under 20 minutes. You can choose to install yourself or use a local service that specializes in car audio. If you decide to install yourself , you’ld need to purchase a double-DIN frame , which is basically a small faceplate that blends the 4200 NEX with the opening on your car’s center dash.
All other components are provided by Pioneer so you don’t have to worry. If you need assistance , you can rely on this installation manual to guide you.
Pros & Cons :
What we like :
- It comes with an extra large seven-inch LCD Screen
- It is packaged with a wireless remote
- It is Sirius/XM compatible
- It has a USB port for charging your devices
- It is AUX input DVD compatible
- It can be adapted as a backup camera
- Supports up to 4 amplifiers
What we didn’t like :
- The touch screen response time may be slow at certain periods
- The Bluetooth connection sometimes fails
Here’s a video review worth watching :
Hope our Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX Review was helpful
Hey Guys! , I am Daniel Coleman and I LOVE CARS. I’m a computer programmer by profession but when not writing code , you’d find me researching on new cars and keeping up with the latest automotive trends.
Say hello ! , message me on email@example.com